Sunday 10 June 2012

Unveiling Fast Rising Model - Mercy Obanla



This elegant and chic runway model is one of the fast rising Nigerian models who are burning the fashion runway presently. Gorgeous Mercy who is blessed with great statistics, cute eye balls and even toned skin is one of the most sought after young models in Nigeria. In this chit-chat with Acada Magazine, she revealed how she has been coping with mixing modeling with academics, her dream and aspiration and what makes clients jostle for her. Enjoy.
What prompt you into modeling?
"Fashion"! I have always loved fashion ever since I was a kid, I remember sitting in front of the TV, waiting for the runway shows to begin, ever since then I have always wanted to be like those models, have the opportunity to wear amazing designs, walk on the runway and get to meet amazing people, but then I knew I have to train myself to become a model and not just a model but the model that I want to be.
Additionally, my unique look and attitude have got people telling me "mercy you've got qualities that are generally appreciated in models”. So generally its fashion and my physical qualities.
How has it been combining modeling with schooling?
To be sincere, it has not been easy considering the fact that I school in Republic of Benin, Cotonou and I have to do most of the jobs in Nigeria, so I have to make sure my job does not affect my school, but I’m a well organized person.
What challenges have you been facing as a model?
I think my bust size have always been a challenge to me as a model, apart from that I am always good to go, and the fact that I have to combine schooling with modeling.

Can you tell us about jobs that you have done?
I have worked with amazing people. Nigeria Television Fashion Show, MTN Fashion Week and Night of Elegance. I’ve worked with Keilla's Designs, Makeup Magazine, Da Viva in Accra, Ghana. I’ve worked with Barrett Apkogbayen (Best Photographer of the Year 2010). I have done high fashion modeling, glamour modeling, mature modeling, promotional modeling, run way modeling and catalog modeling, etcetera.”
What is your assessment of the Nigerian modeling industry?
The Nigerian modeling industry is absolutely competitive and creativity plays a very big role to the success and growth of any agency, but for the few years we have grown and we are still going to get better, by then fashion would have found its way into every ones heart.
You recently left Nigeria to school in Republic of Benin, what inform this decision?
Well, when it comes to education no one can tell where it might take you to go study. My family wanted me to study there.
Can you tell us about schooling in Republic of Benin?
Schooling in Benin is adventure, but sometimes not good because of their way of life there and the currency, but so far for me I have been able to cope, because my school is fun, the students are fashionable and that's good for me.
What level are you and what course are you currently studying?
I am studying Mass Communication.
Can you tell us about your family and educational background?
I come from a family of three, I’m the second child and the first girl, I have an elder brother and a younger sister.
My mum is into fashion, she owns her own boutique and my dad was a civil servant. I studied my primary education at Dolland Nursery and Primary School, Akute and then my mum told my dad to send me to a boarding school because I was too troublesome. I furthered my secondary education at Kankon Model College in Badagry as a boarding student. I lost my dad to cancer when I was in Junior Secondary Three and my mum had to withdraw us from boarding school because she couldn't afford it, all my dad's properties were seized including my mum's shop was locked. My dad’s family told her to take us to public school but due to my dad’s zeal for education before he died she had to be strong. My mum made sure we went to a private school throughout our secondary education, she was strong for us. We pass through hard and happy times together. I finished my secondary education at Lizben Private College, after my secondary school I had to do some petty jobs to raise money, but to God be the glory, he has always been there for me and my family, I started modeling then. I went to Nigeria Institute of Journalism (NIJ) to study a 6month presentation course, while studying there I worked for Now Musik, write articles for some magazines and then worked at Eko FM radio station as a fashion and style presenter, and I decided to further my education, and I got admission to the North American University in Cotonou. I love my family so much because they have always been there for me, even when people criticize me they always keep me strong, and my mum has always supported me in my modeling career, and I won't let them down

What’s your style?
I would define my style to be funky and sexy; I love anything sexy and has a unique design that would make people say I love your dress. I love wearing gowns that are unique. I think I reflect a lot of African beauty.
Your favourite fashion item.
I don't really have one fashion item, I love anything that makes me look good, because Its everything that makes fashion complete but not too much of everything.
Your style icon.
Tiwa Savage and Goldie Harvery, they’re always very classy and stylish.
Are you into labels? If yes, who are your favourite fashion designers?
Nigeria designers would be Deola Sagoe and Zizi Cardow, but foreign designers would be Gucci, Victoria Beckam (I love her jeans) and Alexandra Wang.
Aside modeling and schooling, what else do you? I write articles, I’m a dancer, and I have a per time job. I’m also a motivational speaker.
How far do you want to go with your modeling?
As far as it can take me, who never can tell what the future holds for me. I want to go internationally and do things.
Who are your favourite models?
Oluchi, Naomi Campbell, Tyra Banks and Daniella Sarahyba.

What are your plans and dreams?
I want to be a successful model, and in everything I know how to do best, I am using modeling as a platform to achieve everything I have ever wanted. I see myself doing great things and I am going to make a lot of changes.
Your role model.
My mother, she thought me to be strong. No matter the situation I find myself in.
What advice do you have for young models out there?
As long as they keep a clear head, and stay humble they will stay on top

No comments:

Post a Comment